Friday, January 28, 2011

中文 setbacks

I made some changes to my Chinese learning in 2010...all in all I can say they weren't very productive. I've gotten more involved in Chinese culture-related activities, but that's chipped away a bit (just a tad) at my study time. On a positive, it's helped me connect with other people that have learned the language successfully.

Surprisingly, the weekly discussion group I've been heading up has, overall, not contributed much to my learning. I've helped other people learn, but (as was an issue in learning Spanish), the more time I spend around people at lower skill levels, the more I have to fight "against my environment" to improve. So, sure, I'm studying grammar more and am glad to help other people get over that painful initial hurdle of Mandarin, but I'm also spending much more time listening to incorrect tones, initials and finals. Fighting to keep that out isn't easy.

I've continued listening to Chinese radio at work, which is a GREAT way to cement what you know and already recognize. For words and phrases I picked up in say, the first year or two of my study, they register on my brain as clearly as Spanish does with no need for translation.

Going into 2011, I'm going to go back to more private study and work with native speakers. If I do teach, it will be in a more formal environment, where there is less "feedback" that won't help me grow. 

No comments: